The Underestimated Standing Pose
Tadasana: The Often Underestimated Standing Pose
Many of you are probably wondering why anyone would write an article about what seems to be a simple standing pose - Tadasana, or mountain pose. Well, I used to view this pose as the easiest pose to perform during my early yoga practice, and I often overlooked my alignment during this asana. The truth is, that this standing posture is incredibly important as it is the starting foundation for many other standing poses, and although it seems simple, it can actually be quite challenging to achieve correct alignment.
Tadasana also has wonderful benefits such as improving posture, strengthening the thighs, knees and ankles, toning the abdomen and booty, and it even helps treat flat feet and relieve sciatica (lower back pain due to pressure on the sciatica nerve)!
So, next time you roll out that eco-friendly and non-toxic yoga mat, follow the tips below to take full advantage of this incredibly beneficial standing pose.
- Stand tall on top of your yoga mat with your big toes touching and your heels slightly apart. Inhale and exhale as you bring your arms to your side, palms facing you.
- Take 5-10 breaths as you maintain the pose. Find your balance, keeping your pelvis neutral by drawing the tip of your tailbone down toward your feet as you lift your hip bones upward. Your weight might shift in a circular motion as you balance. Root and rebound feeling your feet grounded into the floor as you visualize energy radiating upward from the bottom of your feet through the top of your head.
- Release any tension from your face and neck areas.
- Stand Completely straight with shoulders stacked over hips, hips stacked over knees, and knees in line with feet.
- Imagine that your pelvis is a cup of tea. You don't want to spill any forward or backward.
- Stretch your arms straight with energy reaching out of your fingertips.
- Keep your chin parallel to the floor and the crown of your head pressing upward.
During Tadasana, avoid arching your lower back, pushing your ribs forward, over tucking your pelvis, and most importantly do not hold your breath. Master this pose and reap the benefits of excellent posture and a tight butt and thighs. Yogi on Warriors!
-- by Viviana Wilches
Whether you're gluten free, trying to be healthy or just craving pizza - cauliflower crust pizza is the way to go! I honestly never thought I'd prefer it to traditional pizza because lets face it bread it bread but this is yummier because its so much more flavourful. So warning everyone ahead of time: once you taste this cauliflower pizza, you will never enjoy a regular pizza again. Feel free to adjust your the quantities to your taste, and remember if you have a spice really use it, don't just sprinkle it.
World Earth Hour is almost here and this year it comes at a time when we are facing exceptional circumstances. Although this is a challenge, all of us who are quarantined can still make a significant impact by participating digitally and from the comfort of our homes.
It is fasting time for us at Shakti Warrior, and our tribe is getting ready for a really cool and effective blood purification fast. So, we thought we would share it with you so you can join us!
This fast is one of the first ones I ever did and one of my favorites. Not only because it is only 3 days, but because it is a blood purification fast, and it is super effective.