Remember the green algae that you may have seen floating on top of a pond? That’s spirulina, a superfood so powerful and healing that we need to welcome it to our diets (after it has been prepared in a way that is safe to consume of course). So what is it about these blue-green algae that made it a staple for the Aztecs and made the World Food Conference in 1974 declare it the one of the best foods for the future?
- Highest protein concentration of any known food. It’s 65-71% protein by weight. Yes that’s more than red meat and lentils combined! It also contains all the essential amino acids. We need amino acids for tissue regeneration, repair, detoxification, metabolism and more. Sadly it’s extremely expensive; so it may not be practical to have spirulina as the main protein source, however do try taking a tablespoon a day along with your whole grains, nuts, legumes and quinoa.
- Satisfies hunger – aids weight loss. Due to the high amounts of protein, having spirulina can satisfy your hunger.
- Great for your skin. Always remember that your skin reflects what’s happening on the inside. With spirulina nourishing and detoxifying your insides the skin on the outsides will glow. The free radicals on your skin will go as the toxins disappear.
- Nutrient and mineral rich. It may be the single most nutrient-dense food on earth. Spirulina has not only protein but also high amounts of vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B12, Potassium, Copper, Iron, Omega 3 and Omega 6. Isn’t that amazing?
- It is a powerful antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties. This means it protects our cells from oxidative damage and also helps fight cancer and other diseases. It is especially powerful in fighting oral cancer.
- Reduces blood pressure. This happens because of increased production of nitric oxide that helps blood vessels relax. Lovely, eat something non-fattening and relax.
- Antidote to poisoning. We live in a world where our drinking water is contaminated by high concentrations of arsenic. This eventually can lead to chronic arsenic poisoning. However nature is kind and has a magical solution- spirulina! Spirulina is a powerful detoxifier and effectively removes toxins from the blood.
- Boosts immunity. Due to its magical nutrients like polysaccharides and phycocyanin, spirulina helps boosts immunity and increase the number of white blood cells in your body which then produce antibodies that protect your body from foreign invades and bacteria.
- Improves productivity and mind focus. Studies conducted actually prove this as your spirulina protectd your brain from degenration.
- Improves muscle strength. This is because of its antioxidant properties as a major contributor to muscle fatigue is exercise induced oxidative damage.
Yes, spirulina really is nature’s gift to us. Use it well.