How To Protect Your Skin This Outdoor Yoga Season!
Soaking Up Sun Responsibly This Summer Yoga Season
There is just nothing like unrolling your Shakti Warrior yoga mat on a patch of fresh cut grass for the first time this summer, feeling content and relaxed knowing that our eco friendly and chemical free products will never be at odds with Mother Earth.
There are so many benefits to taking your yoga practice outside, such as aligning with nature, heightening our awareness, building confidence, and soaking up some precious vitamin D from the sun. So, while we are 150% encouraging an outdoor practice this summer, do not forget your sunscreen!
As much as we want to take in all that vitamin D, we also need to protect our skin from harmful UV rays. Next time you are going to a yoga festival, rooftop yoga, or doing a solo practice in a local park or your own backyard, don’t forget the following tips to protect your skin:
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes prior to starting your outdoor yoga practice in order to allow it to be fully absorbed into the skin.
- Depending on what time you are practicing, check your sunscreen’s SPF. An early morning practice will be safe with a lower SPF like 20-30, but if you are practicing in the middle of the day, or you are attending a yoga festival where you will be practicing outdoors all day, we suggest you go for the higher SPF (50-70). Better safe than burned. Aloe Vera can only soothe so much!
- Re-apply, re-apply, and re-apply. This goes for the festivalgoer and multiple outdoor classes a day kind of yogi. If you know you are going to be outdoors all day, take the sunscreen with you and keep applying it throughout the day as needed, especially after a strenuous class that made you sweat it all off!
- Remember that sun block and sunscreen are different. Sun block protects against UVB rays and sunscreen protects from UVA rays. The good news is that there are a number of products out there that offer both in one. Be sure to check before stepping out for some outdoor yoga fun.
- If for some reason you forget your sun protection, ask another yogi for some or stay in shaded areas to avoid sunburn and skin damage. If you do get more than that sun kissed look (AKA: sunburn), apply Aloe Vera as soon as you can to soothe the burnt skin and prevent more skin damage. (Putting a small bottle in your yoga mat bag will solve this problem!)
So there you have it yogis, this outdoor yoga season stay healthy and sunburn free with these simple tips.
Whether you're gluten free, trying to be healthy or just craving pizza - cauliflower crust pizza is the way to go! I honestly never thought I'd prefer it to traditional pizza because lets face it bread it bread but this is yummier because its so much more flavourful. So warning everyone ahead of time: once you taste this cauliflower pizza, you will never enjoy a regular pizza again. Feel free to adjust your the quantities to your taste, and remember if you have a spice really use it, don't just sprinkle it.
It is fasting time for us at Shakti Warrior, and our tribe is getting ready for a really cool and effective blood purification fast. So, we thought we would share it with you so you can join us!
This fast is one of the first ones I ever did and one of my favorites. Not only because it is only 3 days, but because it is a blood purification fast, and it is super effective.