Do you find yourself settling in life? Do you hate leaving your comfort zone? Are you a yes man? Is there something you have always wanted to do but don’t because you’re scared? Are you trying to constantly be this idea of a perfect person?
Everyone has fears and it is not a bad thing as fear protects us, but when we allow fear to take over our lives it becomes immobilizing. In order to grow we need to fall and then learn to pick ourselves up from that fall. The problem with fear is that it doesn’t allow us to take steps that may lead to us falling as it forces us to remain in our comfort zone. Some of the most successful people walked a lonely road but inventions and revolutionary ideas were born out of their journeys. Outside fear lies creativity, magic, learning and growth.
So should we all strive to become fearless individuals? No, as fear does carry an important message. But instead of letting fear threaten you take these few steps to set yourself free from it and not let it drive you.
- Recognize the different forms fear creeps into your life. It can show up in the form of procrastination, as an intense need to be controlling, as perfectionism, as you always settling, as you not speaking up among many others. It wears many hats so recognize it.
- Turn fear into a friend. Ask it what is it that it’s fearful of, what is it protecting you from and why. Get specific with your questions as that helps you identify them. The minute you ask fear these questions you develop a sense of awareness. Write all of these down.
- Rationalize them. Spend time to find the answers to these questions. Get curious about where they are emanating from. You’ll notice most will automatically dissolve, as a lot of them are irrational and baseless. The ones that remain are the scarier ones because they’re coming from a place called the past.
- Rewrite these past fears in a positive way and affirm these to yourself daily to change your perception into a positive one. Turn that “I can’t do this” to “I’m the best person to do this”.
- Meditate on these fears. Just sit there and feel the fear, embrace it, thank it for protecting you and then let it go. Make a conscious choice to let it go because in the current time and space you are in it is irrelevant. Breathe into that fear and then exhale it out. Free yourself from the feelings of anxiety and strengthen yourself from within.
- Feel gratitude for everything you have, thank yourself for being you and fill yourself with love. Do things for yourself daily- me time is non-negotiable. Then feel gratitude for the universe, everything it has given you and have faith in both yourself and the universe. When there is love there is no room for fear.
- Do one thing everyday that scares you. There is no better way to face fear than head on. Once you are aware of your fear, have identified it and its causes, let go of the past baggage, and filled yourself up with positivity, gratitude and strength, it is time to face them. Turn that fear into faith. Let fear show you dangers but don’t let it drive you. Instead let faith in yourself and the universe drive you. You will truly start feeling alive.
Einstein said, "The most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe." If you think it’s a hostile universe, then everything gives you a reason to be fearful. But if you think its friendly, then you only attract that love and safety. Think of the universe as the magical place it really is and get rid of fears. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. Surrender to the flow of life and create magical memories.